Apex Legends Gibraltar Guide – Tips & Abilities – Every good team shooter needs a tank or a heavy, Apex Legends is no different. When Apex Legends was released in early February, it came with eight playable characters (called Legends). Two of which were locked but could be unlocked with one of the game’s in-game currencies.
Gibraltar is Apex Legend’s tank and he’s suitably the largest Legend in the game. He is a strong attacker due to his Passive Ability. When aiming down sights, Gibraltar deploys a gun shield that protects a large portion of his upper body. He can also deploy a very large dome to shield him and his teammates from incoming fire. You should bear in mind that the dome will block all fire, both enemy and friendly. Using the dome, Gibraltar can revive downed teammates and/or heal up safely, even when fighting in large open areas.
His Ultimate Ability is also devastating, as it can put an enemy’s push to a complete stop and corner weakened squads for easy finishes.
A major downside to Gibraltar’s size is his lack of mobility. He’s also basically a giant bullet magnet. He’s hard to miss cause of his size. After all, Gibraltar’s raison d’etre is to absorb and tank damage for the rest of his team. Which means he doesn’t provide much offensive support for the rest of his team. He’s great for protection and defensive support though.
Even with these drawbacks, if you’re a team player willing to take one for the team, we don’t see why you shouldn’t select Gibraltar as your legend. If you have decided to go with him as your legend, this guide will walk you through his ins and outs so you can be the best Gibraltar for your team that you can be. If you’re considering using Gibraltar as your legend, you can also use this guide as an informal review.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Bio and Character Information
- 2 Apex Legends Gibraltar Guide & Abilities
- 3 Other Tips and Tricks – A short summary
- 4 Final Word
Bio and Character Information
Favourite Moto: “Try to move me; it’ll be fun.”
Gibraltar’s formal class designation is Shielded Fortress.
“Gibraltar is a gentle giant with a wild side. The son of two SARAS (Search and Rescue Association of Solace) volunteers, he has always been skilled at getting others out of dangerous situations that are common in the Outlands. However, he only began to understand the value of protecting others when he and his boyfriend stole his father’s motorcycle, took it on a joyride, and got trapped by a deadly mudslide. His parents saved them, and his father lost an arm in the process. Gibraltar has never forgotten that sacrifice and has devoted his life to helping those in need.
The Apex Games didn’t change that, but they changed what it meant. Many of Gibraltar’s friends and colleagues have competed in the Games for extra money, fame, and glory over the years, and some never came home. Gibraltar joined to keep them safe and, for the first time, his skills as a rescuer and his rebellious nature worked together. He’s now become an icon in the Apex Games, putting himself in the line of fire to protect his squad and send his opponents running for cover.”
Real Name: Makoa Gibraltar
Home World: Solace
Voice Actor: Branscombe RichmondGibraltar is voiced by the legendary Branscombe Richmond. The 63-year-old was born in Los Angeles, California. He is a highly recognizable Native American actor, stuntman and singer who is equally capable of portraying cold-hearted villains on the one hand and warm-hearted, open “good guys” on the other, as evidenced by his huge grin and hearty laugh.
The solidly built 6′ 3″ Richmond has regularly played the bad guy on-screen. He’s been on the receiving end of the fists of Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando (1985), gotten pummelled by Carl Weathers in Action Jackson (1988) and tangled with Steven Seagal in Hard to Kill (1990).
He has a long and extensive history in the industry and there is no better person to play Gibraltar.
Apex Legends Gibraltar Guide & Abilities
1. Apex Legends Gibraltar Guide – Passive Ability: Gun Shield
Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.
This is actually one of the best passives in the game. This passive generates a shield in front of Gibraltar while he’s aiming down the gun sight. Unfortunately, the shield isn’t indestructible and can be chipped away by the enemy when they shoot at it. Although, it can be recharged if you wait long enough.
What this does is add a surprising amount of offensive potential to your team’s arsenal. For instance, consider a situation where you’ve equipped a sniper rifle but you need a bit of time to line up a shot. The shield may buy you the extra time needed to fire off that shot without you being taken out before you do.
You also need to remember that the shield projects itself in front of Gibraltar’s body, so this leaves him open for attack from the back and in the sides. You also have to remember that in terms of size, Gibraltar is one of the largest characters in the game so he’s not very hard to miss.
For this reason, you may want to position yourself with your back against a wall or other environmental objects that may provide back cover. If you don’t’ have a teammate behind you to give you cover, this is a great way of ensuring that you don’t’ get hit from behind. All you’ll have to worry about are your sides.
While the exact health of the shield is unknown, there’s a visual indicator on your screen when it is enabled. As you take damage to the shield, you will notice the bars start to dwindle down. Once you’ve taken too much damage the shield will break and you will need to wait for it to recharge before it becomes usable again.
2. Apex Legends Gibraltar Guide – Tactical Ability: Dome of Protection
Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 15 seconds.
If you’re familiar with Winston, Overwatch’s hyper-intelligent gorilla tank hero then you’ll be familiar with Gibraltar’s tactical ability. It allows him to deploy a dome-shaped holographic shield, which Gibraltar and his teammates can use to take shelter in for 15 seconds.
It’s a great defensive measure but you have to remember that you can’t shoot from inside of it. It’s great to use if you and your team require some respite or a quick breather to heal up quickly. Maybe you just want to slow down the tempo of the fight.
You can also duck in and out of the shield, going out to fire a few quick shots and going back inside to shield yourself from return fire.
Something important to note is that the shield can also be used by your enemies. This isn’t a totally bad thing. You can trap and isolate an enemy inside of it and go in for a quick kill.
You can also throw the dome up in front of you. This will help protect you from long distance fire. You’ll still want to get inside, but depending on the angle of fire it may still give you a safety barrier while you travel towards its interior.
You need to be careful when and where you use the Dome of Protection. You have to be conservative with the cooldown at all times. If you’re about to enter a firefight, it’s important that you have it ready, you don’t want to pop it needlessly a moment before you really need it.
The shield is amazingly helpful when you’ve been ambushed. It could help buy your team some breathing time and a reprieve to strategize your escape or next move.
3. Apex Legends Gibraltar Guide – Ultimate: Defensive Bombardment
“Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a marked position.”
This ultimate is a little similar to Bangalore’s in that it bombards a marked area on the map with a heavy airstrike. However, there are a few key differences.
With Gibraltar’s ultimate, you throw the flare and a circle will be displayed on the ground for what the strikes will take place. A bunch of mortars will then be called down on this circular area and deal damage to any enemies caught up in it.
Using this ultimate, you have a lot of potential to cause havoc, especially if you catch the enemy team unaware in a cluster together. That’s the downside to it. Players with any wits about them aren’t going to hang around like sitting ducks waiting for you to airstrike them.
You could also use this ultimate defensively. If you’re ambushed, throwing in an airstrike can disorientate your enemies a bit or slow down them down.
If your team has been a little separated, this will also buy a brief pause to gather everyone together and launch a counter-offensive.
Other Tips and Tricks – A short summary
In this section, we like to cover some of the other tips and tricks we’ve uncovered while playing the game and searching the deep dark recesses of the web. We’ve listed all our tips in a bullet point form so it’s easier to read and use as a reference. If we find any more tips and tricks in the future, you can expect a few changes on this list.
- Gibraltar is a big target which is one of his weaknesses. You need to make sure to utilize cover as much as possible to keep yourself from soaking up a ton of damage.
- Gibraltar is not slower than any of the other Legends when running normally. While it might appear that way, it has been proven that all movement speeds without any abilities used are the same.
- While Gibraltar has his shield ability when you aim down the sights it doesn’t make him an unstoppable force. You still need to be sure to eliminate your targets quickly because the shield is limited and breaks rather quickly.
- Gibraltar can do well as a sniper because of the shield. While you are aiming, you basically get a free shot because the shield will protect you from incoming fire.
- Alternatively, you can also be a bit more aggressive and run a shotgun and SMG build because you can outlast an opponent due to the damage you absorb with the personal shield.
- Your tactical ability is great for throwing down over a teammate who needs to be revived, you need to heal, or when you need to grab some loot. It can also be good if you need to outlast an ultimate that drops damage on an area. You should also use this when resurrecting a teammate at a beacon.
- The thrown shield can also be used to make an escape. Throw it towards the enemy fire to block it while you make your exit from the situation.
- Your ultimate is a bit on the slow side, so while it will occasionally do a chunk of damage to enemies in the area, it’s mostly for zoning them out.
- Defensive Bombardment does not deal damage to your teammate. So, if you don’t have your shield available, you can throw it on top of them to keep enemies at a distance.
- If you are searching for enemies you should be careful not to look down your sights. Your shield is bright and obvious and people will be able to spot it much more easily if they are looking for people.
- This is a very fringe thing, but you can place your dome shield on top of Lifeline’s heal bot and it will stick to it. You can then push it around and move it if for some reason you found a useful reason to do this.
What we love about Apex Legends cast and characters is the diversity. Some may say that it’s a cash grab to capitalize on PC culture. But inclusion is never a bad thing and it gives the developers and writers a chance to incorporate more cultures, genders, and ethnicities into games in some very creative ways. While some might say Gibraltar carries way too big of a stereotype (pun intended) to be embraced by the Native American community, it’s still a step in the right direction.
What do you think? Do you have any tips or opinions of your own? If you do, please do not hesitate to leave a comment in the comment section below. If you have any friends or family who would benefit from the tips in this article, please share it with them. As always, thank you for reading.
Toptenbiz Founder and an aspiring entrepreneur who keeps a close eye on open source, tech giants, and security. Get in touch with him by sending an email — email@example.com